Locally we estimate over 19,000 people aged 65+ in Kirklees report feeling lonely at least some of the time.
The Out and About project focuses on making sure that older people have a range of choices about the kinds of social activities they would like to take part in, and the control to choose when and how they access them.
Out and About needs volunteers who will:
- connect with older people who may be at risk of loneliness
- coach and support older people to find the right kinds of social activities and connections that they want to take part in
- help older people identify their travel options for getting out and about
Through Out and About, we want to see and measure a significant improvement in the quality of life for lonely older people.
We want to see older people:
- with more choice and control over how they spend their free time
- being more active, mentally and physically
- with stronger, extended social networks and engaging in regular social interaction
- with more options for social and physical activity
In this first phase we will recruit and train younger-older volunteers to begin working with those who are at greater risk of isolation and loneliness.
We believe that this project has the power to make a significant impact on loneliness across our older population.
If you think you might like to volunteer for this initiative, or find out more about us, please get in touch with Chris – firstname.lastname@example.org or 01484 519053.